Friday, July 6, 2012

Best Swedish Chocolate Cake

When I visited Sweden a few weeks ago my aunt introduced me to one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had. She says the secret is coffee and extra vanilla and I couldn't agree more. The recipe is originally from a little cookbook called, Sju sorters kakor (Seven Kinds of Cakes). I would've written down so many more recipes from it if they hadn't been in Swedish and used deciliter measurements. My aunt did give me a deciliter measuring cup when she saw how excited I was about this recipe. :-) I've translated and converted it though because I think everyone should try it! Let me know if you do.


For the cake mixture you'll need:
2/3 cup/150g butter melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract*
1 TBSP cocoa*
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 TBSP strong coffee**
Flaked coconut to sprinkle

Icing:
1/3 cup/75g butter at room temperature
2 TBSP strong coffee*
1 TBSP cocoa
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar

*You can add more or less of these ingredients to create the taste you want. For example, my aunt adds more vanilla, coffee and cocoa to make the flavor really pop.

**I suggest using instant coffee for the coffee in the cake and icing, it's fast and easy to make the amount and strength you desire.

Instructions:
Butter a 13x9 pan and sprinkle with coconut. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.

In a medium bowl whip eggs, sugar and butter until fluffy. In a second small bowl mix dry ingredients. Pour dry ingredients and milk alternately into the wet ingredients. Add coffee. Stir until well blended.

Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix the icing ingredients together.

When the cake is done, let it cool and then ice it. Sprinkle coconut over the top for the finishing touch.


And enjoy! Or should I say, njuta av!

Michaela Rae

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful! Cooking with family is the best! I will have to try this yummy cake out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy this is definitely a double treat! Can't wait to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! If you're dropping by for the first time, do let me know.

If you want to comment but don't have a Google account, simply select "Name/URL" under the "Comment as" drop-down menu. Then, enter your name and blog address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...