Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day, in Britain

Today felt very much like my Thanksgiving last year.

Though my eyes were particularly peeled for red, white and blue, I mainly saw them on a flag of a very different sort. There weren't any fireworks or piles of watermelon rhine, and a fish-out-of-water feeling accompanied me.

But, like Thanksgiving, Kurt and I had one huge blessing: friends from home. I love how it's happened twice now. American friends on American holidays, it's a sweet thing, as trivial as it may seem.

Matt and Julia are special to us for many reasons but what makes our friendship especially fun and unique is that we've been able to share in similar life seasons. We attended the same small church in Whittier, CA for a year and were also engaged at the same time and married within a couple months of each other. It's been fun catching up and sharing first-year-of-marriage stories, jokes and encouragement.


We got Nando's tonight for the 4th (the American BBQ restaurants were booked up) and then Kurt and I saw the new Spiderman movie, which felt like a very American thing to do. All in all, it's been a good (yet void of watermelon) Independence Day.

I hope you're enjoying it too, wherever you are!

I linked this post up to Try New Adventures Thursday. You can link yours up too. :-)

Michaela Rae

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had some American company for the American holiday. :) It's always nice to see familiar faces.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! If you're dropping by for the first time, do let me know.

If you want to comment but don't have a Google account, simply select "Name/URL" under the "Comment as" drop-down menu. Then, enter your name and blog address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...